You must be new to blogging or completely oblivious to this whole (randomly fantastic) community going on over here in this little world of the internet. Don’t worry, I was completely the same, and now I am a PRO, or you know, a little more knowledgable about this blogging extravaganza.
WHY SHOULD I CARE ABOUT A LINK PARTY?
Link parties are fantastic! (I like saying link party because it sounds more fun than linky or link-up) Not only do you drive more comments and more website visits to your blog, you also make really good friends with other bloggers who can relate to you on a deep blogging level ; ), and in my case guide me along my motherhood “journey.”
Also, adding your links to other blogs and sharing across social media generates more awareness of your blog and encourages other bloggers to join which, in turn, creates more buzz about your blog.
The other amazing fact about link parties is that adding your blog posts to link parties and commenting on other blogs helps you increase your blog’s domain authority by having links back to your blog.
OKAY THEN, WHAT THE F*** IS A LINK PARTY (or whatever else they call it)?
A link party is a place where bloggers can “link up” (aha!) their blog posts to a hosts blog post i.e. you go to my post titled #StayClassyMama Link Party No. 52 and add your URL or “link” at the bottom of the page.
Other bloggers (including the host) will then click on your URL (or link) and comment on your blog post, hence (1) driving website visits and (2) generating comments. VOILA! You are famous.
You will also need to comment on other people’s blog posts, usually the post before and after yours, however the more you give the more you get back so if you have time go commenting CRAY!
Okay so now I have given you the basics of what a link party can do for you, however there are a few more
THINGS TO KNOW:
- A link party will sometimes will have a theme, for instance, embarrassing moments or funny things that have happened to you or epicly tragic events that have occurred, it all depends on the host!
- A link party will run for a certain period of time, for instance, Thursday at 6am to Sunday at 11pm. Normally on Thursday at 7am bloggers will go the blog host post and link up their posts, typically the first posts that are linked up get the most amount of views but it always depends on the link party.
NEXT STEP, LINK PARTY RULES:
- Add the link party badge to the bottom of your post (see more on this below)
- Comment on other bloggers posts, normally it’s 2
- It is a courtesy to comment on the hosts blog too, they are spending the time commenting on all of your posts so please make sure to give them a little love too
- To get even more traction on your post, share your post on social media and add the host posts handle
- Use the link party #hashtag when commenting or sharing (for instance #StayClassyMama)
- Stick to the link party theme
- Follow the host (and/or other bloggers) on social media
Basically, link parties are all about sharing the love!
NEXT STEP, HOW DO I LINK UP MY POST?
- At the bottom of the host post you will see thumbnails that look like this,
- Click on the button that says “Add you link”
- You will then need to add your URL link, Link Title (Blog Post Title and your blog name, if you want), and email address. If you have an image in the blog post you can choose a picture from the blog
- Once you’ve added all your info, click the “Done” button.
- You have the option to share afterwards so I normally send out a Tweet or Facebook post and add the host posts handle
- You can click back to comment on the other blog posts once your done (I find it’s easier to do this right away because otherwise sometimes I forget!)
HOW DO I ADD A LINK PARTY BADGE?
- Normally the badge will be at the bottom of the post, see the #StayClassyMama badge below
- See the mumbo jumbo code below the badge? You need to copy that code and paste this to the bottom of your blog post.
- To paste the code into your blog post, go to your post in WordPress, and in the top right corner there is a button that says “Text,” click on this and it will look like the below:
- Scroll to the bottom of this, and paste the code
- If you now click on “Visual” and scroll down to the bottom of the post you should see the badge
- If you are having trouble with the badge I normally DM the host!
Okay that is everything there is to know about link parties, now go join the PARLAY! WHOOP!
If you’re interested in joining my link party, you can link up to the most recent #StayClassyMama here, this all started because I was breast-pumping in the toilet, we have loads of fun over there with some real down-to-earth hilarious woman! Hope you can meet us!