Chocolate cake is the perfect tasty treat; it’s ideal for families, kids love it, and it’s a nice way to treat yourself after achieving something great or simply to enjoy with a loved one at the end of a long week. Although there are many great shop-bought chocolate cakes to choose from, nothing quite compares to baking your own!
Whether you’re an avid baker or have been inspired to get out the mixing bowl since watching the first season of the new Great British Bake Off on Channel 4, chocolate cake is the perfect recipe to choose from since it’s easy, quick, and provides a scrumptious result. This chocolate cake serves 4-6 people and takes around 30 minutes to one hour to prepare.
What You’ll Need:
For the cake, you’ll need to have the following ingredients:
- 225g plain flour
- 85g cocoa powder
- 350g caster sugar
- Two eggs
- One and a half teaspoons of baking powder
- One and a half tsp of bicarbonate of soda
- 250ml milk
- 125ml vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 250ml hot water.
And, for the icing, you will need:
- 200g plain chocolate
- 200ml double cream.
- Begin by preheating your oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4. Then, grease and line two 8-inch round sandwich tins.
- Place all cake ingredients, except for the water, into a mixing bowl and use a whisk or wooden spoon to beat until all the ingredients are smooth and well combined together. Alternatively, you could use this black stand mixer (also available from Amazon) which will do all the hard work for you! Once mixed, add the boiling water a little bit at a time, until the mixture is of a smooth, liquid consistency.
- Divide the cake mixture between the two prepared sandwich tins and place in the oven to bake for around 25-35 minutes. Since baking times can vary between different ovens, the best way to tell that your cake is done is by checking the top – it should be firm to the touch. You can also place a skewer into the centre of the cake – if it’s clean when you remove it, your cake is ready!
- Finally, remove the cakes from the oven and allow to cool completely in the tins.
To make the chocolate icing for your cake, first heat the chocolate and cream in a saucepan over a low heat, until the chocolate is completely melted. Then, remove the pan from the hob and whisk the mixture until it is of a smooth, glossy, and thick consistency. Once done, set the mixture aside for a couple of hours to allow it to thicken enough to ice the cake.
Once your icing is ready, you can begin putting your cake together ready to eat. First, carefully remove each cake from their tins, and then spread a little chocolate icing over the top of one of the cakes before placing the other on top. Use a palette knife to ice the cake all over.
Final step: Serve and enjoy!